Wednesday 28 May 2008

Sovay - out next week!

Sovay is being published next week - which is very exciting. The launch is tomorrow and after that I will be out and about for a week or so promoting the book. I'm going to be in Norfolk at the Norfolk Children's Book Centre on Monday. I will be talking to pupils at Thorpe St Andrew High School and attending an evening event at the Aylsham Lodge Hotel. There is another school event on Tuesday, at Northgate High School, Dereham and then I'll be in Heffer's Book Shop, Cambridge, to meet girls from St Mary's School. I remember that they really liked Pirates! when that was published, so I'm hoping they will like Sovay, too.

I'm going to be at Kent College, Tunbridge Wells on Wednesday, then back to the Midlands for an evening event in Birmingham organised by the Federation of Children's Book Groups.

In between the events there are interviews and signings, so it will be a busy week. I'll let you know how I got on!

3 comments:

leigh said...

I just wanted to say that I am SO excited about Sovay! Ever since Witch Child I've been hooked and have thoroughly enjoyed growing up with your books. Historical fiction is my favourite and I plan on writing some for my uni Creative Writing dissertation next year...do you have any advice for research or general writing of this kind of fiction?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Celia Rees said...

Hi Leigh,
Really pleased that you are looking forward to Sovay, and that you have liked my other historical fiction. As for writing in this genre - it certainly is getting very popular. How you approach it is as personal as any other kind of writing. I tend to choose a person first, then look at the period when they might have lived. You do have to have a thorough knowledge of the time and a deep interest in it. You can only explore what was possible within the time you are writing, but always remember, you are writing a fiction, so story and character have to come first.

Celia

Ink Mage said...

I wish I lived in England! For more reasons than that Sovay is released earlier, but that's a big part of it. :-) We Americans have to wait until August 19th and personally I cannot wait!